"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Saturday, February 21, 2009

K Silem Mohammad on Flarf

In 2005 Tom Beckett conducted an interview with KSM. A link to the entire interview will be the focus of what is in this post, but so that you have an idea of what to expect, these excerpts: * "Form makes us feel." - ". . . it just means we all use what we've got in whatever way we can." - ". . . curiosity. . . ." - "The first thing I try to do as a writer is surprise myself." * My point is to forward the human behind the artifact. I don't care if I have trouble appreciating what results from acts of flarfing. That is for me to deal with over time. I do care about the process, about the efforts a flarfist makes to create an artifact that communicates, that has value for those who can appreciate artifacts of that type. Artistry is artistry, no matter its origin. I was 18 or 19 when I first heard music by Stravinsky, and I thought/ what in the--. With help from two other students, and through listening to it several times, I began to understand and feel why it was highly touted. During my last years in Gainesville, Florida, the San Francisco Symphony presented a series of radio pro- grams moderated by a woman whose name escapes me. It was about American maverick composers. Read the interview. kh00018

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Rhodingeedaddee is my node blog. See my other blogs and recent posts.