"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Saturday, February 14, 2009

I Cant Stand Being Human

anymore: so weak, so stupid, so full of false pride. Humans are too adept at fashioning idiotologies: I- am-better-than-you-are power fantasies: globalized ickonomies / inhumane religions / suicide deceits. If I can not be a Gandhi or a Martin Luther King-- who who-a-who who-a-who-a-whooo who who-a-who a-who-who who who-a-who who-a-who-a-whooo who who-a-who a-who-who - who who-a-who who-a-who-a-whooo who who-a-who a-who-who who who-a-who who-a-who-a-whooo who who-a-who a-who-who The rings of my life are riddled with errors. So I surmise I am an average human. Say ah. Say oh. Giants and Dwarfs is a book of essays (1960-1990) by Allan Bloom. A hardbound copy of it has been in my meagre library for some years. Recently I began reading it. Have so far read the Preface and Western Civ. He is a believer in knowledge derived from the greatest thinkers of important Western civilizations. Cultural persuasions are passing power-oriented missteps. Promoters of such--let's just say he doesn't trust them. In turn, of course, they tend to misunderstand him. Western Civ was an address Bloom gave at Harvard University on December 7, 1988. On page 18 in the book, this sentence from it: Pascal's formula about our knowing too little to be dogmatists and too much much to be skeptics perfectly describes our human condition as we really experience it, although men have powerful temptations to obscure it and often find it intolerable. From page 23: What we are witnessing is the Quarrel of the Canons, the twentieth century's farcical version of the seventeenth century's Quarrel between the Ancients and the Moderns---. . . . From page 27, however, this caution: It is a grave error to accept that the books of the dead white Western male canon are essentially Western--- or any of those other things. From page 29: Each must ultimately judge for him- self about the important books, but a good beginning would be to see what other thinkers the thinkers who attract him turn to. Allan Bloom wants us neither to be "culture-bound" nor to miss the "great dialogue". So I should read his essays, though I cannot be sure I will. kh00017

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Rhodingeedaddee is my node blog. See my other blogs and recent posts.